Geometrical Dimensioning And Tolerancing Application Project – 2004
This project was undertaken to:
- Increase the awareness of geometric tolerancing for the delegates
- Correctly display geometrical tolerancing for company X production drawings
- Functionality deriving manufacturing tolerances
- Bring down costs within design, manufacturing, quality and assembly
The Project consists of five delegates, first of all they went through the foundation training to uniformly understand geometric tolerancing as a communication tool. Then two application sessions were created using similar type components which were derived by Seize A Solution Limited, to take the delegates through a step by step procedure to derive the functional tolerancing. Following the application sessions the delegates then worked on their part of the assembly and a one to one mentoring session was undertaken. We then held a drawing review day where the drawings were scrutinised by the team and changes made where needed.
The results are as follows:
- The time taken by the designer to complete the drawing increased by one week.
- The design drawing went out right first time without interpretation problems.
- Tolerances used to define the components were well within the manufacturing capabilities of the machining department.
- The quality department use conventional instruments to measure the components.
- The manpower and the time taken to assemble the components was drastically reduced
Initial fundamental training: five days £3750
Two applications sessions: four days £3000
Mentoring sessions: three days £2250
Drawing review: one day £750
Project Total £9750
Manufacturing time to cut down by 25%, £30,000 per year estimated
Amount of shims used in the assembly £1500 per year estimated
Reduction of one assembly engineer £43,200 per year
Warranty claims down by 75% Confidential Amount
Overall Saving in the first year £74,700 without including warranty claims.